Between December 2021 and January 2022, the Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) invited community feedback on a proposal which identified 3 potential locations for pedestrian improvements in Palmwoods. This included:
- an upgrade to the existing informal crossing point near the Post Office
- an upgrade to the existing crossing point near Rick's Garage
- a new crossing point near Palmwoods Bakery.
As part of this proposal, a number of car parks were identified for removal at each location in order to achieve clear sight lines and ensure the safety of all road users.
TMR appreciates the input received in response to this initial consultation. In total, more than 270 people had their say and provided greater local knowledge and understanding of the community's preferences and key issues.
Initial consultation outcomes
The upgrade to the existing crossing point near Rick's Garage was overwhelmingly ranked as the treatment to most benefit the community. This crossing will replace the existing pedestrian refuge at this location with a raised zebra crossing, known as a wombat crossing. It allows pedestrians to cross the road in 2 stages, while minimising traffic delays and vehicle queuing to 1 direction at a time.
TMR acknowledges the community's concerns about impacts to car parking in Margaret Street and the current limited availability of car parking in general in Palmwoods, which featured heavily in the feedback received.
In response, TMR has closely reviewed the parking arrangement on Margaret Street and investigated opportunities to improve parking capacity and convenience for locals and visitors, while also ensuring safety for pedestrians and other road users.
Revised concept design
To address some of the issues raised during the initial consultation regarding car parking, TMR has developed a revised concept design. The concept design proposes a central parking arrangement towards the western end of Margaret Street, along with the preferred pedestrian crossing treatment.
View the concept design in more detail by clicking the arrows in the top right hand corner.
Click the 'hotspots' to learn more about some of the key deliverables.
Key deliverables include:
- central car parking arrangement (around 19 spaces) on Margaret Street
- minor modifications to existing on-street parking to accommodate the central parking arrangement
- provisions for a U-turn facility, allowing westbound vehicles to travel east
- a raised zebra crossing near Rick's Garage
- a speed management treatment at the western approach of Margaret Street
- improved streetlighting
- additional warning signage
- provisions for landscaping and beautification
- resurfacing throughout the project area.
TMR is currently reviewing community feedback received from the latest round of consultation for the revised concept design from 5 April to 2 May 2022.