Gold Coast Light Rail Stage 4 will deliver a 13km extension south of the Gold Coast Light Rail Stage 3, linking Burleigh Heads to Coolangatta via the Gold Coast Airport. It will provide nine stations between Burleigh Heads and Tugun, and further stations will be investigated between Tugun and Coolangatta as part of the current Multi-modal Corridor Study.
A future southern extension of the light rail will service important cultural and urban attractions including the Burleigh Heads Village Centre, Palm Beach Village Centre, Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary, Southern Cross University, Gold Coast Airport and the Coolangatta shopping and business precinct.
Planning for the next stage
Burleigh Heads to Tugun
In 2020, the Gold Coast Highway (Burleigh Heads to Tugun) Multi-modal Corridor Study identified a number of opportunities along the corridor including:
- Transforming the Gold Coast Highway between Burleigh Heads and Tugun into a high amenity community boulevard.
- Improving the intersection of Palm Beach Avenue, Gold Coast Highway and Cypress Terrace through transformation into a pedestrian friendly precinct with the opportunity for streetfront dining, shopping and urban renewal.
- Upgrades to bridge crossings over Tallebudgera and Currumbin creeks including new active transport crossings.
- A land bridge to help protect wildlife between Burleigh Head National Park and Burleigh Ridge Park.
- Active transport options including developing a beachfront oceanway path.
Tugun to Coolangatta
In 2020, the Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) completed the Gold Coast Highway (Burleigh Heads to Tugun) Multi-modal Corridor Study to review all previous planning and develop an updated transport strategy for this corridor that considers all modes of transport including walking, bicycle riding, public transport and private vehicles.
Community engagement will take place across a 12-month period to coincide with the progress of the planning studies and focus on the sections; Burleigh Heads to Tugun (July – September 2021), Tugun to Gold Coast Airport and Gold Coast Airport to Coolangatta (early 2022).
TMR invites you to view the video below which shows the design for Gold Coast Light Rail Stage 4 and have your say.
Queensland COVID restrictions
In response to the unfolding COVID situation and Queensland restrictions, any changes to planned engagement session dates and times will be updated as required. Please check this page prior to the published sessions and times for any updates.