The Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) is undertaking a business case and concept design to upgrade the Beaudesert Road and Illaweena Street intersection at Calamvale, Parkinson and Drewvale. The upgrade will help manage congestion along Beaudesert Road and improve safety for all road users.
As part of the planning process, TMR invited feedback from the community on the proposed concept design. Consultation closed on 3 October 2021.
Following completion of the concept and detailed design, construction is expected to commence in early 2022 and be completed by mid─2023.
The proposed concept design for the intersection upgrade includes:
- widening Beaudesert Road to 6 through lanes (3 in each direction)
- tying into the existing 4 lane road north of the intersection
- tying into the existing 6 lane road south of the intersection
- extending the right-turn lanes into Algester Road and Illaweena Street
- replacing the left-turn slip lanes into Algester Road and Illaweena Street with signalised left-turn lanes
- bus stop improvements:
- a new bus stop on Illaweena Street
- an upgraded bus stop along Beaudesert Road to improve customer access
- constructing a protected intersection with separated bike riding lanes and other safety features to protect riders.